WASHINGTON - A Washington Chamber of Commence member has received a scam phone call from an impersonator claiming to be from Alliant Energy and threatening to cut off utilities without immediate payment.
“This is a scam. Do not give them any information,” stated a news release from the Washington Chamber of Commerce.
Alliant Energy will never:
• Ask you to purchase prepaid credit cards to avoid disconnection.
• Ask for payment or personal information over email.
• Ask for money when we visit a residence or business.
They will always:
• Be able to confirm your account address, current bill amount and balance due over the phone.
• Provide past due notification in writing before service is shut off.
• Their vehicles are typically white with the Alliant Energy logo displayed on both sides.
If you receive a call like this, hang up and call Alliant Energy at their official phone number 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268). Some scammers may provide a different phone number that spoofs Alliant’s answering system. 1-800-ALLIANT is the only number to call.