Washington Evening Journal
111 North Marion Avenue
Washington, IA 52353
Vice-President Pat Fritz presided over the Oct. 6 meeting of Chilcote Questers No. 1092 in Washington with eight members present. The meeting was held at Virginia McCurdy’s home with Phyllis Eisele providing the refreshments at the meeting’s end.
Roll call was answered with “What year did you first visit Washington?” Several members are natives of Washington County; most came for jobs or other circumstances. Eisele, Wendy Bandy Langan, Pat Reighard Fritz, Jeri Klein, Jackie Knupp Ross, Karen Bates Chabal, and Marge Wulf Lins are natives. Kathleen Almelien, Pat Cody, Linda Gonshorowski, Marilyn Klise, Mary Levy, McCurdy, and JoAnne Worley were from other areas of Iowa or elsewhere and re-settled in Washington.
Minutes of the September meeting were read and approved and the treasurer’s report was given by outgoing treasurer Ross. Incoming treasurer Mary Levy will take over her new responsibilities in November. No correspondence was received and there were no attendees for the fall Quester meeting in Jefferson, Iowa.
The International Quester web site password was announced. The Historical Society fall meeting was cancelled.
New Business included a handout regarding the Quester You Tube site’s beginnings. There was a Heisey Glass presentation scheduled for Oct. 22 at the Brunier Gallery, Schemann Hall, Iowa State University Campus. McCurdy indicated she was thinking of attending. Levy also announced the undertaking of a major remodel of the Conger House dining room. Many items are needed and it could possibly be a place to donate to help w/ curtains, stencils, etc. to better fit the period décor.
The next meeting will be at Jeri Klein’s home in rural Keota on Nov. 3. Her address is 170th St, Keota. Klein will discuss Turkey Platters and Fritz will be co-hostess.
The evening’s program was presented by McCurdy, who showed some of her recent Washington-related purchases including a badge from 1939’s October Festi-corn. The event was held on the square in Washington and was the last of the Centennial activities, occurring Oct. 1, 2, & 3rd, 1939. The badge features an ear of corn (metal) hanging from a small badge w/ a pin back. Another item garnering attention was the bottle w/ liquid that carried Phillips-Hebner Drugstore labeling.