Washington Evening Journal
111 North Marion Avenue
Washington, IA 52353
Nov. 25: Brighton Annual Christmas Tree Lighting
The Brighton Chamber of Commerce will continue a newly established tradition, holding the second lighting ceremony for a community Christmas tree at 6 p.m. in Central Park.
Enjoy cookies and cocoa immediately after the event at the community center, along with the appearance of a special visitor. To volunteer, call 641-451-1389.
Nov. 27: Washington SNOW Blitz
- All day: Small Business Saturday: get out and shop at the small businesses around Washington’s community. Hours vary by business.
- 8-10 a.m. breakfast with Santa at UP Church, prepared by the Washington Lions Club. Bring a camera for photos with Mr. and Mrs. Claus. Santa will read Christmas stories at 9 a.m. Craft stations and letters to Santa also will be available. Tickets are $6 for adults, $3 for children 3 and older.
- 9 a.m. Jingle Bell Fun Run begins, starting in front of JP’s 207. Proceeds support lights around the square and the PAWS & More animal shelter. All ages are welcome. Costumes, bells, and themes are encouraged for all participants, whether they run or walk the 5K or 1 mile route. Sign up opens at 8 a.m.
- 5 p.m. Downtown Lighting Ceremony: Join Main Street Washington at the bandstand downtown as the Lights of Love Memorial Trees and downtown businesses are lit up.
- 5:30 p.m.: the lighted holiday parade begins, circling around the square before closing with a special guest.
Nov. 27, Dec. 3, 4 and 10: Santa’s House
Santa’s House will appear at the old YMCA day care at 121 E. Main Street, where children can get photos with Santa and share their wish lists.
Santa’s House will be open for visitors from 1-4 p.m. on each of those days
Dec. 3: PAWS & More open house
The shelter will be open from 12-4 p.m. Staff say the building will be decorated, animals will be available for snuggling and adoption, and refreshments will be served.
Dec. 3, Christmas in Kalona
Kalona will host its annual holiday celebration again this year, on the traditional first Saturday of the month.
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Kalona Christmas Market at the YMCA. Sources suggest Santa will arrive by the afternoon.
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Kids’ Walking Stocking and Shopping (business hours may vary)
- 9:30-11:30 a.m.: Reindeer at Kalona Library
- 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Kids’ activities at the Y, including face painting, cookie decorating, ornaments and more.
- 1 p.m.: movie at the Kalona Library
- 1-3 p.m.: Cookie Walk at the Y
- 3-5 p.m.: poured painting at Kalona Brewery
- 4-7 p.m. Christmas tree Walk at the Kalona Historical Village, plus caroling, the holiday quilt display, warm drinks, treats, and carriage rides
- 5 p.m.: Lighted golf cart parade starts in the KCTC Lot, traveling to the Kalona Historical Village.
Dec. 3-4: Candlelight Tour of Homes
The Washington Chamber will host the 31st annual Candlelight tour of homes, highlighting a variety of new and historical houses around the community. Proceeds from the event fund holiday lights around the square.
- Dec. 3: 4-8 p.m.
- Dec. 4: 1-4 p.m.
Dec. 4: West Chester Christmas Gala
The West Chester Heritage buildings will host its Christmas Gala on the first Sunday of the month, where Santa and Mrs. Claus will visit and the Lions Club will run crafts for kids. Free will offerings are made at the door. Soups and drinks also will be available.
- 4 p.m.: Doors open
- 4:30-5:30 p.m.: Santa and Mrs. Clause will visit
Dec. 10: Crawfordsville Christmas drawing
The Crawfordsville Lions Club will hold a Christmas drawing for all Crawfordsville residents on the second Saturday in December. Times TBD.
Dec. 11: Santa visits Riverside
Santa Clause will come to Riverside from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., staying at the fire station where he’ll visit with children and receive their wish lists.
Elves interested in helping stuff stockings should contact city hall before Dec. 10.
Dec. 12: Holiday Sing Along with the Happy Ukulele Group
Everyone is welcome to join the Happy Ukulele Group to sing their favorite holiday songs at 5:30 p.m. at the Washington Public Library.
Dec. 24: Free community dinner in Brighton
The City of Brighton and Junkyard Dogs (JYD) will host a free meal at city hall. Doors open at 10:45 a.m., lunch goes from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The menu includes ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, rolls with butter, and dessert. Reservations available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 319-591-8119.
Free will donations and volunteers are welcome.
Dec. 25: Christmas Day meal
The First Assembly of God Church in Washington will host a Christmas Day meal from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Call to register at 319-653-3749.
Dine in, carry out, or delivery are available for Washington residents.