FAIRFIELD – Fairfield will celebrate its homecoming week next week, culminating in the Oct. 2 varsity football game against Keokuk at Trojan Stadium.
Homecoming festivities are largely the same as in years past with dress-up days, a pep rally that Thursday night and a homecoming court.
One major change this year is that there will not be a parade on the Friday afternoon before the football game.
High school family and consumer science teacher Heidi Grunwald said the district felt it was not possible to safely hold a parade with so many students.
Not only that, but the district will still be in hybrid mode, meaning only half the students will be in class on Friday because the other half are doing online courses.
A few other notable changes this year are that Monday’s assembly where the homecoming court is announced has been moved to the evening instead of the afternoon, and it will be outside at Trojan Stadium instead of in the Fairfield High School Auditorium.
Grunwald said that was done both to accommodate all the students and to avoid a large indoor gathering.
Here is the full list of events planned for homecoming week, whose theme is “Can’t mask our Fairfield pride”:
Monday – “Pajama Day” - Trojan Group
• Girls Swimming vs. Tipton at Fairfield Rec Center at 5 p.m. (Senior Night)
• Iron Man Volleyball 7 p.m. start in Trojan Stadium
• Homecoming court announced approximately 8 p.m. in Trojan Stadium (will be virtual if raining)
• King and queen voting - will be sent electronically after the assembly to high school students
Tuesday – “Character/Decade Day” - Trojan Group
• JV/V Cross Country at Washington at 4:30p.m.
• Volleyball vs. Keokuk at Keokuk at 5 p.m.
Wednesday – “Pajama Day” - Power Group
Thursday – “Character/Decade Day” - Power Group
• Thursday night rally at the stadium/gym starting at 6:30 p.m.
• Band performance
• Powder Puff Game
• Pep Talk - Coach Nate Weaton
• Cheerleader performance
• King and queen crowning (Erica Olson and Leone Gichure) at approximately 8:15 p.m. (will be virtual if raining)
• Torch Run to set off the fireworks
Friday – “Fhs Orange and Black Spirit Day” (Show your school spirit with orange and black)
• Freshman/Sophomore Football Game at 5 p.m.
• Varsity Football Game at 7:30 p.m.
• Homecoming court and king and queen announced at halftime of the game
• Senior Night for cross-country, football, football managers, cheerleaders and band