A 15-year-old has been charged with reckless use of fire in connection with an incident Wednesday morning that set off the fire alarms in the Fairfield High School and forced the occupants to evacuate.
A news release from Jefferson County Attorney Chauncey Moulding states that emergency responders discovered the remnants of a small fire still smoldering in a top-floor bathroom at the high school. Firefighters were able to extinguish the embers. The flame and smoke damage were contained to the bathroom and did not spread to other areas of the school.
Fairfield police worked throughout the day with assistance from the Fairfield Fire Department, school staff and the Jefferson County Attorney’s Office to identify the person believed to be responsible for the fire. The case has been referred to the juvenile court officer.