News

One injured in Birmingham fire

Fire destroyed the home occupied by Dale Kerr in Birmingham Saturday afternoon. (Photo submitted)
Fire destroyed the home occupied by Dale Kerr in Birmingham Saturday afternoon. (Photo submitted)

BIRMINGHAM — Fire destroyed a Birmingham home Saturday afternoon.

Birmingham is a town of 448 residents south of Fairfield.

Birmingham Fire Chief Tyler Mathias said one person was home at the time of the fire, and he was injured. The home’s occupant, Dale Kerr, was taken to the hospital with burns on his face.

Mathias said the fire department received a call at 3:20 p.m. that day of a structure fire in the 17000 block of 110th Road. Upon arrival, firefighters saw the house was fully engulfed in flames, and Mathias said their attention was focused on stopping the fire from spreading to nearby buildings such as the garage. Seven firefighters from Birmingham Fire responded and eight from Douds Fire.

Kerr told firefighters he suspected the fire began from a blanket on his couch falling on a propane space heater in the living room. The heater caught the blanket on fire and eventually the entire house. Kerr attempted to put out the fire on his own, and in the process suffered burns to his face.

Kerr had cats and dogs inside. They all escaped the blaze. The firefighters were on scene until 8 p.m. that evening, and succeeded in containing the fire to just the house. Mathias said the two-story home was already starting to collapse upon the firefighters’ arrival, so there was no hope of saving it. Firefighters returned to the scene throughout the night to put out hot spots. Mathias said it’s common to see large structure fires, even after hours of being doused with water, reignite later in the day, which is why putting out the hot spots is so important.

Mathias said Kerr has moved in with his daughter for now until he figures out what to do next.